Jerome Clark (born November 27, 1946) is an American researcher and writer, specializing in unidentified flying objects and other paranormal subjects. He has appeared on ABC News Special Report, Unsolved Mysteries, Sightings and the A&E Network discussing UFOs and other oddities. Clark is also a country and folk music songwriter of note.
Clark was born and raised in Canby, Minnesota; he attended South Dakota State University and Moorhead State University. He has served as a writer, reporter, and editor for a number of magazines which cover UFOs and other paranormal subjects. He has been an editor of FATE magazine and International UFO Reporter, and a board member of the Center for UFO Studies.
In the 1990's Clark authored The UFO Book, an abridged version of his multi-volume The UFO Encyclopedia, which won the 1998 Benjamin Franklin Award in the Science/Environment category sponsored by the Independent Book Publishers Association.
Library Journal stated in its review of The UFO Encyclopedia that it "is the most thorough treatment yet of this puzzling phenomenon...the [encyclopedia] should be considered by larger public and academic libraries." Choice: Current Reviews for Academic Libraries wrote that "the articles are factual and balanced, with neither a believer's nor a skeptic's viewpoint predominating", and that The UFO Encyclopedia is "recommended for public libraries and undergraduate collections."
Sunday Express combined its review of Clark's 2000 book, Extraordinary Encounters, An Encyclopedia of Extraterrestrials and Otherworldly Beings with another similar book entitled UFOs and Popular Culture by James R. Lewis, calling both books "inexplicably entertaining" and commenting that they "manage throughout to maintain a healthy rationality and openmindedness, neither over-s[k]eptical nor too ready to believe the claims of the UFOmongers."
Jerome Clark and Cryptoozologist Loren Coleman have released several books together. In 1999 they released "Cryptozoology A to Z: The Encyclopedia of Loch Monsters, Sasquatch, Chupacabras, and Other Authentic Mysteries of Nature" which has inspired many in its field.
Clark has written songs which have been recorded or performed by musicians such as Emmylou Harris, Mary Chapin Carpenter, and Tom T. Hall and has collaborated with Robin and Linda Williams. He has also written a number of reviews of American folk music albums and CDs for Rambles magazine.
Jerome Clark has done work involving UFOlogy and Cryptozoology, two fields that Mothman seems to have a place in. Jerome knew Mothman Prophecies writer, John Keel. They corresponded in letters through the mail.
Jerome has worked with Loren Coleman, who also plays his part in the Mothman legend. Clark was an editor for FATE magazine, which has done many Mothman articles in the past and related Fortean phenomenon. He even wrote a Mothman article in Fortean Times, #156 in April 2002.
- Extraordinary Encounters: an Encyclopedia of Extraterrestrials and Otherworldly Beings, 2000, ABC-CLIO.
- Encyclopedia of Strange and Unexplained Physical Phenomena, 1993, Thomson Gale Press.
- The UFO Book: Encyclopedia of the Extraterrestrial, 1997, Visible Ink Press.
- The UFO Encyclopedia: The Phenomenon From The Beginning (2-Volume Set), 1998, Omnigraphics Books.
- Strange Skies: Pilot Encounters with UFOs, 2003, Citadel Books.
- Unexplained: Strange Sightings, Incredible Occurrences, and Puzzling Physical Phenomena, second edition, 2003, Visible Ink Press.
- Unnatural Phenomena: A Guide to the Bizarre Wonders of North America, 2005, ABC-Clio Books.
- Hidden Realms, Lost Civilizations, and Beings from Other Worlds, 2010, Visible Ink Press.
- Cryptozoology A to Z: The Encyclopedia of Loch Monsters, Sasquatch, Chupacabras, and Other Authentic Mysteries of Nature by Loren Coleman and Jerome Clark. Simon and Schuster, 1999.
- The Unidentified & Creatures of the Outer Edge by Jerome Clark and Loren Coleman. Anomalist Books, 2006.
- Earths Secret Inhabitants by D Scott Rogo and Jerome Clark. Tempo Books, 1979.
- The Unidentified: Notes Toward Solving the UFO Mystery by Jerome Clark and Loren Coleman. Warner Paperback Library, 1975.
- Creatures of the goblin world by Jerome Clark and Loren Coleman. Clark Publications, 1984
- Strange & Unexplained Happenings: When Nature Breaks the Rules of Science by Jerome Clark and Nancy Pear. UXL Publishing.